Sunday, August 12, 2007

Tuna Salad w/ Fennel, Cucumber, and Tarragon

It could have been so good. The pita was tasty, the cucumber was crisp and fresh, the tuna, while not being the high-quality olive-oil-packed kind they called for in the recipe, wasn't bad (and I'm not sure a higher-quality tuna would have saved it).

The problem, I think, was in the assortment of flavors. Cucumber, fennel, and tarragon DO go together, they all have a sort of watery, fresh, almost bitter taste. But together I think they amplified each other too much for my palate. I would have almost preferred to make the tuna-mayo-relish kind of tuna salad and slathered that on a pita. The pita was nice anyway.

This was my second time cooking with fennel bulbs; the previous time had been amid other roasted vegetables (carrot, turnip, parsnip, etc). This was also my second time working with tarragon as a major flavor; the previous time was in a DELICIOUS beurre blanc (my first time successfully making that, might I add) that I served atop seared chicken cutlets. Cucumber is cucumber; this was English cucumber but aside from the seed thing I noticed no real difference.

I'm not willing to give up on fennel yet. I've seen it used in salads/slaws with apples, which could be interesting; maybe the tartness of the apple would counteract the licoricey bitterness of the fennel. Also I didn't have any problems with it roasted (then again, I think there was less fennel in that dish than any of the other veg).

As I think this was an issue of my palate rather than an issue of a recipe just not working, here's the recipe.

Tuna Salad with Fennel, Cucumber and Tarragon

1/2 small shallot, finely chopped
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp chopped tarragon
1/2 small fennel bulb, cored and small diced
1/4 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1 6-oz can tuna in vegetable oil, drained
Salt and pepper
Pita bread

In a small bowl, whisk shallot, vinegar, oil, sugar and tarragon. Add fennel and cucumber, let stand 5 minutes. Add tuna, season with salt and pepper, and serve atop pita bread. Serves 2.

No comments: