Wednesday, August 22, 2007

BLTs and lunches

I haven't done much cooking lately. Well, that's not true, it just for some reason feels like I haven't.

Saturday night I was up until 2 making a corn salad, green beans w/ bacon, and corn muffins. The corn muffins were quite tasty and very corny (I put them in the fridge to prevent spoiling like happened with my last uber-moist cornbread), the green beans were, well, probably underdone (also my virtually brand new big wide deep frying pan has a dent in it! what the fuck!), and the corn salad I didn't end up trying. Alex didn't either, when I took it out of the fridge in the morning he went "ew." It had roma tomato, corn, jalapeno, roasted orange and green bell peppers, shallot, and a lime dressing.

Also that night I threw together beef fajitas-out-of-a-bag, which were quite underwhelming.

Travel was moderately acceptable for the picnic (the reason I did all that cooking), although about 1/3 of the muffins got smushed cause stupid me just tossed them in a ziploc bag and then set the green beans on top of them, and nobody ate the muffins because the fried chicken Dad bought came with biscuits. Also ants got everywhere, guh.

Beyond that I haven't done much in the way of cooking. I attempted to assemble a small bento for my 6 PM Monday class, since it's 3 hours long and I assumed there'd be a 15-min break or something, but all we got was a 5-minute break, which is not nearly long enough to eat a muffin, grapes and some cherry tomatoes, especially when eating is not allowed in the classroom.

Yesterday for lunch I took leftover udon noodles with a muffin and some deli turkey, and finished off the udon for dinner. Today I took deli turkey with olive oil-garlic whole wheat penne. Not too exciting. I haven't felt like cooking, mostly because the sink is overflowing with dirty dishes and it's intimidating, to be honest.

But tonight I knew we had bacon and romaine and fresh tomatoes we needed to use before they went bad, so I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and picked up a loaf of bread for BLTS. ...and a bag of mallowcreme pumpkins, and a few boxes of organic soup (butternut squash, sweet corn, and vichysoisse), and a box of brown rice, and a pack of fresh 4-cheese ravioli. I'm a terrible person.

The BLTs were good by the way.

Oh and Alex's work is having another chili cook-off next Wednesday, which I will of course be making my world-famous chili for, since I have an imaginary title to defend. (I didn't even place last time, but my chili got eaten way more than the winners' chilis so I figure I won the People's Choice Award)

No comments: