Saturday, August 25, 2007

Make-Up Dinner

First off, lunch was tasty but ultimately not very filling. The spaghetti sauce tasted a little weird (overly fruity) when I touched it to test for heat, but when added to the ravioli and used as a dipping sauce for the garlic toast, it was fine.

Tonight I cooked a relatively extravagant dinner for Alex, as an apology for letting my own feelings of annoyance get in the way of cheering him up last night. We ate on our wedding china (for the first time) and had wine (for the first time in months at our apartment), and I got out the bread basket and everything.

I made seared chicken with a butter-shallot-tarragon sauce, which I had made before and which was once again very tasty, as well as crumbled cauliflower (was supposed to be mashed but for the life of me I couldn't get it mushy enough to be mashable), canned green beans (would have used fresh but the stuff in the fridge had developed a weird white coating to it--some sort of preservative, cause when I initially opened the bag a week ago it had a STRANGE soapy smell, and when I rinsed the white goop off the beans were kind of soft and I said "forget it"), storebought baked-at-home garlic bread, and an apple pie that had been sitting in the freezer for months.

It was a good clean-out-the-fridge night: got rid of the cauliflower, the green beans (inadvertently), the pie and chicken out of the freezer, a stick of butter, a bag of shallot, and a package of tarragon. The tarragon is probably still usable and I should put it back but yet.

Also dinner was quite tasty and even though the wine didn't have a chance to chill before we drank it, it was still very good. Chateau Ste. Michelle riesling is our favorite wine.

No comments: