Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hen House Chinese Food

Feeling pretty lazy tonight. I wanted to just have leftovers because we have 2 portions of brussels sprouts au gratin, 1 bbq chicken leg, 1/2 a chicken-potato-cheese casserole, about 2-3 cups of udon noodles (no broth), and most of that stupid tortellini soup left. Alternately I would have made that tuna salad because I'm worried the fennel and English cucumber will get mushy/brown before I get a chance to use them, since they've been sitting in the fridge since I think Sunday. (Must make that tomorrow for lunch!) But Alex made a face and said "if you want," and said he was in the mood for Chinese, so we went to the nearest Chinese take-out, which is the not-horrible Chinese place in Hen House.

Not much to say about it, I got chow mein and beef/broccoli and Alex got fried rice and kung pao chicken and an egg roll. Would have been two egg rolls but they were closing in 15 minutes and only had one left. That's okay, I didn't need one anyway.

I mostly just wanted to post because previously, the chow mein had been my favorite part of Hen House Chinese food. Not sure why, I just really liked it. But after having made my own lo mein from scratch a few weeks ago (I have no idea how authentic it was but it tasted like take-out Chinese lo mein), Hen House chow mein has suffered. It was greasy, and the cabbage was a bit too raw and bitter for my liking. May have just been that we went at the end of the day when food quality was not going to be quite so good. Who knows.

(On a side note, what is the difference between lo mein and chow mein? It was labeled "chow mein" but it was identical in ingredients to the lo mein I made)

No comments: