Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007: Post-Game

Goose: Moist, but ultimately not really different from any other goose recipe. I did get a lot of goose fat out of it though which I will save for future uses.
Roast Veg: Cooked well but not interesting enough to be repeatable. Alex says it was fine but he would have preferred broccoli/cauliflower/red potato/etc.
Apples: Good but mushier than I would have liked.
Corn Gratin: Couldn't taste the cheese. Didn't like the onion rings. Otherwise good, if a bit rich.
Cranberry Sauce: Didn't gel up. Also tasted mostly like cherries and not so much like cranberries.
Carrots: Not soft enough. Glaze was not a glaze at all, more of a sauce, and as a result they were not as flavorful as I wanted.
Salad/bread: not put on table due to too much food.
Mashed Potatoes: standard mashed potatoes.

Alex's mom made sweet potato casserole, which I didn't try but Alex said it was very sweet, and also some sort of weird hybrid dessert that didn't work so well. The bottom half was a apple cake, with thinly sliced apples layered in it (is that a tatin? I'm not so good with dessert names), but then it had a layer of like marshmallowy whipped cream with chocolate shavings on top. I personally was not a fan of the two layers together, particularly the chocolate in conjunction with the apple.

My personal overall verdict is that nothing I had was BAD, but overall not worth the effort, especially when I'm fairly exhausted anyway due to travel and lack of sleep. This seems to be a recurring theme with my bigger dinners. Oh well. I won't be cooking for Christmas this year because we'll be out of town but maybe I'll do something special in mid-December sometime (not too close to Christmas).

No comments: