Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallot Port Sauce

Tonight I'm doing a roast beef tenderloin in a beef broth-roasted shallot-port-bacon sauce, with roasted potatoes and sugar snap peas. Also I burnt the top of my knuckle on the damn oven heating element thing. Again. Guh.

Hope it all tastes good.

edit: Oh wow. Oh wow. The sugar snap peas were a bit overdone (damn nuclear stovetop!) but still tasty, the potatoes were creamy with a crispy crust and perfectly seasoned with rosemary and thyme, and the beef. The beef. A nice medium rare throughout, tender and juicy, and that sauce. Wow. I accidentally over-reduced the beef broth and port (reduced it by 2/3 or 3/4 instead of 1/2), so I was a little worried it would be too strong, but when I added my roux, and butter, and then the roasted shallots and bacon... oh man. Heaven. Best beef gravy I may have ever had. And I did not know the wonders of a sweet, soft roasted shallot until tonight; they were sitting around for a while after roasting, waiting for the beef to get done, and the layers had separated a bit, as onions tend to do. So I picked up a tiny rogue layer and popped it in my mouth and HOLY CRAP. I had made roasted balsamic red onions before and hadn't been particularly thrilled, too oniony for me, but this was SO DIFFERENT. I could have just eaten them by themselves, as a side. Amazing.

Three thumbs up.

No comments: